Saturday, May 14, 2011

Another 3 Months Check-up

On Monday, May 9th, I had appointments with oncology and radiation oncology--- routine check-ups.
My bloodwork looked good. The white cell count was up from the last time--- 4.6, almost normal (4.8).
No new lumps or bumps. :)
I feel I can breathe for another three months til the next check.
It was good to get far away--- to Ghana-- and forget cancer for a while. I guess I associate life here with all that I've been through during the past year. As if the cancer is HERE and not somewhere else. Crazy emotional logic--- thankfully I know better. ;-) It WAS good to get away from all of the medical stuff, though... well, almost. We did catch a contagious eye infection called APOLLO during the last few days in Ghana. It seemed a lot like "pink eye". Over the counter antibiotic eye ointment from a local pharmacy did the trick.
Eight months after the last surgery I'm now experiencing quite a bit of discomfort and pain when I make reaching or stretching motions with my arm. I guess it must be that I'm disturbing scar tissue when I move.
Something to ask the surgeon at July's appointment...
My hair is still growing, and still short, but people seem to like it this way. I'm still not liking it, but it is encouraging that others think it looks nice.
I'm surprised by how slowly hair grows back after loss--- but, I guess it makes sense--- hair only grows 1/4" per month. There's no sense in complaining--- at least I HAVE hair now, right? :) It's all a matter of perspective.
I want to close this health update entry and write about the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment