Friday, August 19, 2011

Final Post

August 19, 2011

I've decided that this will be my last post in my cancer journey blog. August 4th marked the one year anniversary of the administration of my final chemotherapy treatment. It's hard to believe a whole year has passed, and I must admit that I am glad to be putting it all behind me.

That is part of the reason I'm making this my last entry. I need to move forward. An old friend from junior and senior high school unknowing helped me make a turning point. I'd shared with her that I was still fatigued and fearful of cancer. In her reply she pointed out just how much I'd been able to do in recent months. That is when I realized that I have taken my life back. I AM LIVING!

I plan to print this blog, assemble it in a binder, and store it in my "cancer tote" along with my books about breast cancer, my wig, my headwear, and all of the wonderful cards and notes that people sent to me during the treatment period. I'm going to put my "cancer" in storage now. It's not going in the trash, because it's part of my life journey. It's shaped me. It's strengthened me. It's reminded me that God is bigger than any challenges that we face.

Before concluding, I want to share a few updates:

My niece Sara is still undergoing chemotherapy (Herceptin) every three weeks. She's tolerating it well, and it's not impacting her hair regrowth, etc. She's looking forward to returning to work as a kindergarten teacher next month. :) Praise the Lord for His healing!

I had my quarterly oncology check-up on Aug. 15th. The nurse practitioner who examined me found nothing concerning aside from a few low blood counts and vitamin D deficiency. I'm now taking 5,000 units of D per day and already feel the positive effects.

I'll go to the hospital for a breast ultrasound on Sept. 19th to check on the 5.5 cm oval shaped mass (most likely filled with fluid) in my "cancer breast" in March. If some of the fluid hasn't been absorbed it's possible the surgeon will concider doing a needle aspiration to remove it. I hope so. Although, it's not something he wants to do due to the risk of introducing bacteria. Anyway, I saw a copy of the report from the March ultrasound and mammogram and it stated that the mass is most likely benign.

Stephen and I have decided to homeschool our boys this year. Now, if that isn't a huge leap of faith, I don't know what is! :) It feels good to be living again. Living without cancer!

Thank you to those who've kept up with my blog during the past year and a half. Your support and prayers have made a bigger difference than you know. I'll not forget this blessing!

Who knows? Maybe a home school blog is just around the corner...

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited for your upcoming adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

    Thanks!

    Cameron

    ReplyDelete