Thursday, September 30, 2010

After Surgery #3

My third and final (we assume) breast surgery was on Monday. I didn't feel anxiety about it... it was like "old hat". :-) I just wanted to get it overwith and had confidence in my doctor's skills.

He removed more breast tissue as well as my port-a-cath. This means there's a "boo boo" on both sides of my chest. Icing and using Tylenol for the first 24 hours helped a lot with pain management. I'm still quite sore. What's odd is that there is a lot of fluid floating in my breast and the swishing sounds when I move are driving me bonkers. (too much info?) :-) I'll be grateful when the body absorbs all of that liquid!

The surgeon called last night to tell me the "great news" (as he put it). He said that no cancer and no residual cancer was found in my breast tissue. :-) It's a relief to not need another surgery! If cancer had shown up at the margin again, I'd have had a mastectomy the next time around.

I'm so glad this part of treatment is behind me. In a few weeks I'll start radiation therapy, and that will most likely be on M-F for six weeks.

I'm babysitting my grandson for long hours (eleven) today and had him for the same number of hours yesterday. I'm quite tired so will close here to take a wee nap before he wakes again.

No comments:

Post a Comment