Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The end is in sight!

Went for treatment number 27 today--- just six more to go, thankfully. Today, I had a CAT scan so the radiation oncologist can plan the final five "concentrated" treatments. Tomorrow, I'll have the last "overall" (for lack of a better word) one. I'm glad, because the skin on my chest and collar bone area, as well as my underarm, is so burned and sore.

It was nice to get in and get out today... even with three things lined up (treatment, CAT scan and doctor's visit). It doesn't go that way very often, but today it was very timely. :-)

Things immediately improved after last week's embarrassing incident involving the man being in the control room during treatment. The next day, one of the technicians told me that they'd met with the doctor and made a plan for any further treatments when there'd be a man in the room. She explained it to me and it was agreeable. What a relief that was! :-)

I know it wouldn't bother every woman, and some have told me it wouldn't bother them. However, everyone I talked to seem to feel that I had a right to my privacy and needed to feel comfortable and without stress during treatment.

Today, we were blessed with some gifts. A local organization gave us a grocery card, a bit of financial aid, and reimbursed us for some mileage. That will be such a HUGE help, and we're grateful. It's 2.59 miles to the cancer treatment facility, and we're going round-trip 33 times for radiation. That's a total of about 171 miles!!

Someone also gave our children some adorable Beanie Babies with which they are so happy. The kids LOVE stuffed animals and play with them every single day. :0)

People are starting to comment on my short hairstyle. It's actually a style now---at 1 1/2 inches long. My hairdresser was a LIFESAVER last week. She nipped a bit here and there and showed me how to use styling paste to create a "look" to get by with. It means a lot when people compliment me about my hair, because I still see "cancer hair" when I look in the mirror. I'm starting to feel like a sense of dignity is coming back, because I can now go out and not look like a sick person. This whole hair thing has been incredibly painful.

Speaking of hair, Kaylee, Kanaho and I had quite a color party last Wednesday. :-) First, we dyed my hair --- something I said I'd never do (use a home color kit). It's now Macadamia (sp?) blonde. Ha! Kanaho was next with a reddish brown color, but her dark black hair didn't take much of the color. It looks like she has highlights. :-) Kaylee chose a light blonde shade. We had fun. :-) Gotta' make the best of the hair situation...

On Saturday, we enjoyed a nice visit from my sister-in-law, nephew's wife, and his daughter, Kanaho, Aloysius, Tyler and my parents. People came at different times. It was a full, busy day. We girls had a surprise birthday party, with the kids, for Kanaho. :-) My sister-in-law brought KFC and tacos. The kids ran wild, playing upstairs, downstairs, and everywhere in between. They had a great time, and even confessed after the fact that they'd all gone in my room and played with my wig. Hmmmm. :-)

We're all looking forward to Christmas. It's been a WONDERFUL distraction from the complete impact of radiation. I'm starting to get more and more tired, so Kaylee and I are trying to come up with ways to make holiday preparations and meals a bit more do-able. Next year, we'll go back to the usual. :-)

Stephen's working long and crazy hours at both jobs. We're also looking forward to a much more relaxed early January--- when his hours will be rediculously reduced (as they are every year at that time). I hope for a lot of down time --- to recover from treatment.

Speaking of R & R---that's what's needed now. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment