Tuesday, July 6, 2010

THIRD CHEMO

It's done. The third cycle took place today. I did consent to having Adriamycin and Cytoxan. I had very mixed feelings about it --given that Adriamycin has a small risk associated with it for causing heart pump function damage and leukemia. But, there isn't any other "standard of treatment" that would be equivalent to the other drug combination that led to a strong reaction.
The doctor wants to avoid giving me that other drug (Taxotere) or anything from that family of drugs.

There's a lot to break down in this blog. Typically, AC (Adriamycin and Cytoxan) are given with Taxol (several weeks of this drug AFTER finishing with AC cycles). Since I reacted to Taxotere, I can't have the Taxol treatments. Thus, I'm not getting the full "standard of care" for this treatment regimen.

My doctor believes that just three cycles of AC will do it for me, but she's going to present my case to a team of doctors from Dana Farber in Boston on July 23rd when she'll be in meetings with them. It will be GREAT to get their input about my treatment plan. I just hope they all reach a general consensus and don't offer too many varying opinions.

My doctor said that my case is a complicated one. I'm too tired to get into the variables, but it's stuff I've shared before. i.e. My Oncotype DX (genetic testing done on my tumor at a lab out of state) recurrance score came back as 15 out of a possible 100--- which for nodes NEGATIVE women would suggest that chemo would not be beneficial. Yet, because not enough info. is "in" about the Oncotype DX test for nodes positive women (such as me), we're doing chemo anyway. Then, with the reaction to Taxotere, both options for "standard of care' treatment have gone "out the window" for me. It's a strange "place" to be for a patient. So, I'm grateful that the Dana Farber team can come into the picture... my husband and I always say "Two heads are better than one." And, my doctor welcomes second opinions. She doesn't have an ego issue, even though she's known as the best oncologist in our area. :-)

Another issue that's come up is the p0ssibility of a family inherited gene for cancer. Without compromising the privacy of another individual, I can't get into it in my blog. Initially, the doctor didn't think it'd be likely that I'd carry this gene, but now that someone else in my family has been diagnosed at a young age, there's a chance I have the gene. We'll be looking into this. I pray I don't have it, as it causes a high risk for developing cancers.

On a positive note--- if I'm gonig to only have TWO more cycles of chemo, and all goes well with blood counts, and we can stay on schedule for treatment--- I'll be DONE on August 4th! :-)

It was GOOD to meet with my doctor after what happened at the last treatment. I needed to hear her thoughts on everything and ask questions.

I don't know what to expect from this new drug combo. The nurse said it may cause MORE nausea than the other regimen. I asked if it may cause my eyebrows and eyelashes to come out and she said it could. :-( I hope not!

With the other combination I didn't get sick and "wiped out" til day 3--- that would be THURSDAY. My sickest days would be Thursday and Friday, with a great deal of fatigue on Saturday-Tuesday. Please, if anyone's reading this, pray that I'll feel well enough to attend my twins' birthday party at the bowling alley on Sunday. Thank you---tons!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Kelli, It seems like so much to process. I'm so glad that Dana Farber will be reviewing your case. They certainly know so much about what the next steps are for so many. I am praying for you right now for a restful day and that you're strength is renewed for the party! Love, Jen

    ReplyDelete