Sunday, March 21, 2010

Change of Plans

March 21st, 2010

Well, at about 8 PM this evening my doctor called to inform me that she's needing to cancel our appointment for Tues., as well as all other appt.'s for Mon. and Tues. due to a family emergency requiring out of town travel.

She told me that she thinks I'm a "wonderful person" and wants me to be able to get this cancer taken care of right away. (I appreciated that compliment-- esp. at a time like this when things feel so uncertain). She offered me the option of meeting with her colleague, also a surgeon with about 20 years of experience. He could meet with me tomorrow at 3 PM.

I asked about his communication style with his patients and she assured me he takes all the time that's needed with each patient, and he's good about call-back appointments if a patient is confused about something. I was pleased to know that, because I think it's very important for patients and doctors to understand each other well.

She also told me that if I'm uncomfortable with this other doctor after having met with him, I would have the option of switching back to her care, if I want to wait for her.

I have decided that I will meet with this other doctor, because I do want to have my cancer addressed as soon as possible.

I'm hoping all will go well with childcare arrangements so we can take the time we need with this doctor tomorrow.

I found out this evening that my paternal aunt had breast cancer as an elderly woman, and it spread to her bones. She first had it in her kidneys. So, there is a family history of cancer on both sides of my family. It seems like cancer is running rampant in our society. It's hard to find anyone who doesn't know someone who's had it, if not someone they are related to.

I'm trusting God in this whole thing. Tomorrow will be the start of the rest of this journey ... I hope and pray that the cancer can be cured and I can continue to focus on my family's needs for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment