Friday, March 19, 2010

Diagnosis Day

March 19th, 2010-- Diagnosis Day

Yesterday, I was able to stay busy to pass the time. Each of my "big kids" were here at some point, along with my daughter-in-law and my husband. The three little ones kept me on my toes. My husband's sister in London and her adult daughter called and offered much encouragement. My sister text messaged off and on all day to keep in close contact.

Friends and family have been a great support system. Facing cancer is not something one wants to do alone! It's too BIG for one to shoulder.

So, yesterday was "do-able". Today was tough. The doctor had said she would call sometime by afternoon. I tried to stay busy, but when stressed, my tendency is to want to go to sleep. I struggled through the day doing what I needed to, but feeling extremely tired. My stomach was in knots and I felt nausea all day. It was difficult to eat.

By 2:00 PM, Stephen and I wanted to get the kids out of the house and do some errands, yet, I didn't want to receive the doctor's call in the middle of a public place like a grocery store! What to do? I decided to call and ask if my results were available. A message was left for the doctor.

Well, wouldn't you know -- she DID call when was in the middle of the grocery store! :-) Ha! Stephen and I had decided to let the three little ones walk in the store, because we weren't buying much and wouldn't be long. Oh boy! The doctor called while the kids were pushing their child sized carts around heading toward the lobster tank. Thankfully, a nice lady who works at the store and enjoys speaking with our boys was entertaining them. Stephen kept one ear on my phone conversation and one on the kids. THAT was a juggling act! Ha!

The doctor informed me that I DO have a type of cancer in my breast. She spoke confidently about being able to remove the lump and that boosted my morale. I asked if she thinks it's elsewhere in my body and she said she believes it is just in that one location. She asked if Stephen and I can come to an 8 AM appointment next Tuesday, and we'd discuss everything then. I asked which type of cancer I have and she replied "the usual kind" and said we'll talk about it on Tuesday. :-) I asked if she should double check my nodes, but she said the ultrasound showed that they're fine. She said she'd check everything, though. Anxious to get this cancer removal process going, I asked "Is there anything I can be doing now, like blood work?" She said she thinks my blood is fine, but that we'll do that on Tuesday. Ha! She said she'll be able to remove the lump and I won't need a masectomy. I told her she can take anything she wants as long as she gets the cancer out of me, so I can be well and take care of my family. She said that she'll do that.

You can see there are a lot of positives that jumped out of that short conversation today. I feel like there is HOPE.

I'm willing to try hard to fight this, for my children, my grandbaby, my parents, my family...

I'm grateful to my family and friends for their strong support, and especially for their prayers. I know that God is listening, and that He cares. He is with me.



No comments:

Post a Comment