Monday, March 29, 2010

Medical Bills and Hair

The medical statements have started to pour into our mailbox. That didn't take long! This all began only 19 days ago and the ol' financial bargaining process has already begun between the insurance company and the medical providers. This is a good opportunity to say how thankful I am to have insurance. And, I'm grateful to my husband for the back-breaking work he does each weekday to make sure our family has that coverage.

One of the things that has been most upsetting to me about this cancer ordeal is the thought of losing my hair through the strong possibility of having chemotherapy treatments. I've given a lot of thought to wigs, hats, scarves... anything that would cover the baldness. I've pondered if a wig would be too hot to wear in the summer, if it'd look semi-natural, and where on earth I could find one. I've tried to view in my mind what a hat would look like pulled over a bare naked head. I think most women facing treatment probably give some thought to these things. It seems kind of crazy in a way, though, because there's something much bigger to consider than ones's physical appearance when cancer is a factor.

As a relative mentioned to me yesterday-- losing my hair is a small price to pay for treating and curing my cancer. That was a sobering and necessary remark to hear.

So, today, while showering my medium length hair and appreciating it while I still have it, I thought about how much money we'll save on the water bill when I won't have this hair to shampoo two times and condition one time each day! I called out to my husband "Hey, Stephen, I just thought of something! If I lose my hair, it won't take so much time for us to get ready to go somewhere!" I thought he'd split his side from laughing so hard. :-D

And, this morning, I cut the twins' hair as well as Stephen's with the electric trimmer set. Stephen wears his closely cut to his scalp, but not quite shaved off. I often tease him about being "bald", but today I told him that soon he'll have more hair than me! :-D

I think humor is going to be an essential ingredient in sanely getting through the next several months. That, but most of all, the prayers of others.

Bone scan tomorrow... dye at 10 AM and scan at 1 PM.

2 comments:

  1. Praying for your scan tomorrow! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kelli, I'm so glad you were able to use your voice & question the appt./dye situation. This is so important in dealing w/ medical issues, asserting yourself in a kind way. But not, suffering in silence! I'll be praying for you tomorrow!

    I so look forward to that day when they tell you the cancer is GONE! Wayne's brother Jasen had testicular cancer & the chemo didn't make his hair fall out (surprisingly). You never know for sure! With the trials of Cody's journey, our humor (though bizarre & a bit twisted to others looking in) was our saving grace. Not to minimize God's grace, but God did give me this bizarre sense of humor & intended for it to be used, right?!?! Cody inherited it for sure!

    I'll be praying for you & wish I could take a bite of that elephant for you, chomp, chomp, Kelli! I love that analagy, it's helped me a lot in the past when something felt too overwhelming to get through!!

    Love you, Jen

    ReplyDelete