Sunday, March 28, 2010

Transference of Anger

I pity my Jollof Rice today. I really do! Ha! I spent a good part of my afternoon trying to make this tranditional Ghanaian food today. I carefully diced a selection of peppers, added chopped onion and shredded carrot. I prepared some delicious chicken to add to the mix. The dish came out TOO LIQUIDY. I have tried EVERYTHING to resolve the problem, but to no avail.

In tears, and out of sheer frustration, I have started over again, after dumping the first batch into the trash. I have cried. I have been grumpy.

When completely alone in the kitchen, I blurted out "I HATE CANCER!" This cancer is invading my cooking. My ability to enjoy normal activities. And, my life as I know it, at this moment.

LATER:

Stephen patiently helped me get the second batch to come out right. (I don't know how he was able to be so patient, because I was miserable to be around!) :-(

It's hard to get the long grain rice to come out right. The other ingredients are a snap to cook.

I can see that I was channeling a lot of frustration and anger about the cancer into the cooking challenge. My poor husband must have not known WHAT to do with his distraught wife! Ha! He deserves a medal!

Somehow, a nice long, comforting hug seemed to melt away all of the strong mixed emotions.

It's going to be a while before I try cooking Jollof rice again! Ha!





2 comments:

  1. What can I say except I am praying for you? You know if you want me to I would cook a meal for you some night! (I have never cooked Ghanaian food - sounds good. I would try if you wanted me to!) Hang in there, this is a season. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Patty. The prayers of others mean so much.
    This is a very emotional experience. It seems that there are good days and bad days, and even good and bad moments within a day.
    Thanks for the offer to cook sometime. :-)

    ReplyDelete