Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Appointment with Surgeon Today

Stephen and I met with the surgeon today. The healing looks good so far. (Thank you, Lord!) He decided to leave the drain in at least until Friday because it's doing a good job. As inconvenient and uncomfortable as it is to have it, I am thankful that it's doing what it's supposed to. And, supposedly it promotes quicker healing. So, at least three more days of assisted bathing. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it! :-) As least we have running water and soap, right?

I felt kind of low in spirits--- Stephen, too--- while there today. I think we're just tired out and need rest and a change of pace. It was hard to think of questions for the surgeon until the appointment was coming to a close--- and then, they came pouring into my mind. Someone must have been praying. :-)

I asked him the most obvious question--- WHAT exactly is draining from me? It's mostly lymph fluid and some blood. I suspected lymph as... well, duh... I just had all of the nodes removed. :-) Eventually, the tissue will heal up and dry up.

I also asked him if the cancer that went to the margin went only toward one side of the "cube" of tissue removed. He looked at the pathology report and noted that it went to the superior margin, and it "just touched it". So, there's even a chance that he DID get it all this past time, but to be safe, we'll have to look at a third surgery AFTER chemo. That will mean making a decision between a mastectomy (and reconstruction) or taking more tissue (I'm a good candidate for this, still). Whatever option I'll choose will be a hard one to pick, and I hope that I won't have too much pressure from others when I do decide. It's a personal one, and it should be made with much prayer and knowledge.

A couple of people have suggested either to me or to a family member that they're surprised I didn't have chemo BEFORE the surgeries. I asked the doctor about it today. He said that the standard of care with breast cancer is to get the cancer OUT first and then use drug therapy. If they do the drug treatment first, it's because they've found that the patient's cancer has spread to another part of the body, and in that case, the breast would become the lesser priority over treating the rest of the body.

He encouraged me to go to tomorrow's oncology appointment prepared with questions just as if I were a consumer going to purchase something. He gave me an idea of what types of things to ask. I told him that I'm kind of beaten down right now and don't feel I can advocate well for myself, but he thinks I'm doing better than I realize. He said to be honest with the oncologist about that. He feels 100% confident that she is going to put my best interest first and foremost and her treatment suggestion will be designed for ME, and not to satisfy some other incentive.

So, I guess lots of prayer would be good fo me to present my questions well and to press for the answers I'll need.

Okay, I've saved the best for last. Stephen and I visited Aloysius today. Oh, that baby is PRECIOUS! He's one week old today and his skin is beautiful. It's so smooth, and his color is gorgeous. His little lips are perfect. I think he looks a lot like his mommy. She said that he has Tyler's eyes, though. I can't tell, as I've not seen him with his eyes open more than one time. He was tuckered out and sleeping when we were there. He'd had a busy day with some testing and learning how to drink from a bottle, rather than have tube feedings. He's a strong little boy! He successfully took two bottles prior to our visit. Go, Aloysius! That baby already has won my heart... he's a doll!

No comments:

Post a Comment