Monday, May 31, 2010

Another Weekend Escape!

We escaped for another weekend--- I REALLY wanted the boys to get to do something special and fun this summer, and knew that our best chance to do that would be NOW--- when I know I feel good, won't have a compromised immune system, etc.

On Saturday, we went to the York's Wild Animal Kingdom zoo. It's such a GREAT place with lots of animals. Sammy is absolutely obsessed with animals, and especially "safari" type ones, so he was on Cloud 9. Almost DAILY he draws giraffes, elephants, tigers, etc. :-) I took pictures of the boys at different animal exhibits so they can make a "zoo book" with me this summer. I want it to be our special project.

After the zoo, we went to the hotel and they enjoyed the pool again. Last time, Stephen learned how to do the doggie paddle with his lifevest on, and this weekend, Sammy did it, too. I'm so glad that they had a fun time. THAT was my goal--- to get away with my kids and let them have a blast. :-)

Since the drain was out, I was able to play on the pool steps with Kathryn--- get into the water a bit without going so deep as to get my drain wound involved. That was a TREAT!

Stephen, Kaylee and I were tired, but we still had a fun time. I think we all needed the break to get refreshed before we get into a medical routine.

The twins loved the zoo so much that each time we reached a toll booth on the way back to the hotel they told their father to announce to the toll taker "We just went to the zoo." Ha! So, he'd kind of whisper "We just went to the zoo" and then he and I would laugh so hard. :-D Then, at I-HOP (the twins have been asking to go to an I-HOP for ages) that evening Sammy kept telling our waitress "We just went to the zoo." EVERY time she thought he was saying he wants dessert, so she'd tease him about that or just tell him he's silly. He tried to tell her about four or five times ---whenever she'd walk by. FINALLY, I just told her what he was really trying to say and she fussed about it with him. He was a happy camper. :0) The zoo was a BIG deal to that kid. :-)

Today, we tried to catch up on chores, lawn mowing, groceries, etc. Then, my parents and my friend and her son came to visit. We had a nice time---cooked burgers on the grill, caught up on some hometown news and people, and enjoyed visiting. The twins were thrilled to play with my friend's 13 year old son. :-)

Tomorrow, I need to study up on my chemo information packets--- the do's and don'ts, etc. There's so much information. I am supposed to take two steroids before bed tom. to help prevent swelling in my chest, arms and feet that the chemo can cause. The problem is--- the steroids keep you awake. Oh boy! :-( I'll have to take them for three days. I don't do well without adequate sleep.

I dread the lifestyle change that chemo will bring and I keep trying to get my mind around it--- the rinsing my mouth serveral times per day with baking soda/salt water to prevent mouth sores, taking my temperature daily at the same time, keeping a log of daily symptoms, avoiding crowded places, worrying about catching something when my blood cell counts bottom out on day nine of each chemo cycle, etc. And, HAIR LOSS. Because I've never had chemo before--- I am expecting the worst and hoping it won't be half as bad as I think it will be. It really freaks me out to think of sitting for two hours while two bags of toxic "stuff" empty into my body. :-( I don't know how I'll react or feel when that time comes on Wednesday, but I'm trying to psych myself up for it--- that I CAN do it. I need a logical grasp on it--- "This will preserve your life!" ; "What would happen if you don't do it?"; "It could be worse."; "This is short term."

What stinks is that my children's "Famiy Share" school snack/picnic is on June 11th--- and that's my "bottom out day" for blood counts. I want to go, but I don't want to get sick from being around all of the little preschoolers.

Okay... I need to remember that GOD will help me through it all!! :-) Why do I keep acting like I have to rely on myself?

2 comments:

  1. Glad you could get away. We love York Zoo too. Praying for you for this week!

    Love,
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Patty!! :0) Those prayers mean so much, and they're effective!
    The zoo is awesome, isn't it? Once chemo is overwith, we hope to take the kids to Story Land in the late summer or early fall. We'll play it by ear.
    Talk to you soon.
    Love,
    kelli

    ReplyDelete