Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Straw That Broke the Camel's Back

These nearly daily medical calls and appointments are getting to feel like "too much". Those things combined with the hassle and discomfort of having a drain for over two weeks, the stress of knowing what's coming (chemo and another surgery) next week, and just being plain tired and frustrated from trying so stinking hard to get a sense of normal by doing household things and kid care--- it's PILING UP.

And, now, for "the straw that broke the camel's back" today--- our oldest (of two) cats is very sick. He has rancid smelling diahhrea (sp?) and vomit, and he's laying around in a way that tells us something is wrong. I think he looks a bit "guant". I do NOT feel I can cope with this on top of everything else.

I've TRIED. I called the vet's today to tell them that he's sick. The ONLY opening they have today is for when I'm scheduled for my chemotherapy class. The vet's suggested we could drop our cat off for the day and they'll do the necessary tests and exams while we're not able to be there. THAT "daycare charge" would be $56!
And, the total cost of hospitalization and care would be $396. THAT is just to keep him there today and diagnose his problem, as well as run an IV line!

We have CRIED because this is just one more stress--one too many. It is just TOO MUCH. We asked if there's a rescue mission that would take him. We asked how much it would cost to put him down I cried on the phone (embarrassed now) and explained that I CANNOT have a sick cat in the house while going through chemo --- low blood cell count-germs--not good.

They offer nothing in return for accomodation--- meanwhile, Smokey has vomitted again and it was RANCID smelling. I think we have no choice but to put this cat down. I CANNOT cope with caring for a sick cat, finding MORE appointment time to squeeze into our lives to deal with a sick cat, and I certainly can't stomach the idea of his germs while fighting my own health battle.

He's had a good life and a good home. I just cannot deal with his sickness right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment