Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Today's Oncology Appointment

We went to the cancer treatment facility today not knowing if chemo would be started, but suspecting it wouldn't be due to my still having the drain in place.

We had to go to the laboratory to have blood drawn (to check my blood cell counts) before meeting with the doctor. It was the first time for using my port-a-cath --- which I had surgically implanted yestserday.

The medical assistant who unsuccessfully tried to draw blood from my port really caused me a great deal of discomfort, and that was on top of the nervousness I felt. I'd look over at Stephen at times and just say "Stephen!" It was just very uncomfortable--- it hurt. After a while, the M.A. decided to let a nurse upstairs (at my appointment) look at the situation. Meanwhile, a lab. worker came in and drew the blood from my arm.

Skipping ahead a bit, the nurse upstairs successfully drew the blood from the port. The problem was that the port needed to be adjusted and the M.A. had put the needle in the wrong position. The nurse had to press hard to push the port into place and man...did that ever hurt!

The oncologist had some good news and bad news. The bad news was that we needed to delay chemo for another week or so due to my drain still being in use. The surgeon had emailed her in the morning to tell her he'll remove my drain next Tuesday, June 1st.

The good news is that the nearly $4000 genetic test done on my tumor came back with a relatively low score: 15 The scores run from 0 to 100. If I had been "nodes negative", I'd not even have needed chemo, based on this testing. But, since I have had two positive nodes, it'd be wise to have chemo.

The up side of this is that I'm going to have TWO chemo drugs rather than THREE, and my treatment will last for about three months rather than five. AND, we were able to eliminate a very potent drug which can cause long term problems such as heart disease and leukemia.

I'll have four chemo cycles spaced apart by three weeks. IF I tolerate them well and would like to add another two cycles (for a total of six) for extra insurance, I can do so. I've tentatively scheduled the start of my chemotherapy treatments for June 2nd.

I'll still experience complete hair loss, and can have side effects such as numbness and tingling in my fingertips and feet, nausea, mouth sores, etc. Lots of unpleasant things, but I'll take all of the precautions against them that I possibly can (such as rinsing my mouth several times per day with baking soda and salt warm water.)

The news was quite encouraging. We were both relieved that chemo didn't start today. Stephen had said on the way to the facility that he'd be disappointed if it did start. We're just not ready!!

We hope we can find the means to sneak away for this coming weekend...one more time... to go to a fun place for the kids where germs abound (i.e. the zoo or an amusement park). Once chemo starts, I'll have to avoid those types of places.

Today, I potted some flowers like I do every spring. I wanted to do it before chemo, as I undersetand that gardening is a "no no" while going through treatment. Lots to think about--- so many considerations.

Yesterday's surgery went well, although I was very very sore for the entire day. I went to bed early and woke up less sore. :-) Tylenol helps!

I'm so glad surgery is overwith for now, because I don't think I could stand to go into the hospital for one more procedure... I am SO SICK of operations!!

I'm so anxious for this drainage to stop. It's been a real pain to take sponge baths for three weeks! I have to do it in three parts and it takes forever, it seems. And, in this hot, sticky weather, a real shower sounds good!! But, at least we have running water and soap to be thankful for.

Speaking of thankfulness, our pediatrician surprised us again this evening with a homecooked meal. He made meatloaf and a chilled vegetable soup, as well as some broccoli. We'll have that tomorrow eveing, as we had already fired up the grill to cook cheeseburgers on this insanely hot day! :-)

Other tidbits--- the wig's on hold. It is "perfect" as far as color and style go. I look like "me" in it. But, insurance won't cover it,, because I'd not be buying it from a medical facility that is "in network". :-( I looked through a catalog of wigs at the cancer facility's pharmacy and none of them come even close to being in my style or color, yet insurance would cover those ones. I don't know whether to go ahead and charge this wig on my card, or to forgo it and just use the caps and scarves with the bangs that I've ordered. People tell me that the wigs are too hot to wear in the summer-time, and even anytime of the year while going through chemo (hot flashes, sensitive scalp, etc.)

Company's coming--- nuff blogging for tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment