Monday, June 21, 2010

All In A Hair...Er, I Mean Day! :-)

Today was Sam's "day on the town" with Mommy and Daddy. Rarely do we go out with just one of the twins, but Little Stephen wanted to stay home today. We decided to go to Super Walmart store birthday shopping for two parties the boys are invited to next weekend. I wanted to get it off my mind and off my "to do" list before going "down for the count" following chemo tomorrow.

Not wanting to fuss with the wig (which feels like "big hair") today---and waiting to have my hair stylist trim up the back a bit--- I decided to wear a scarf that has a cute scrunchie that holds the back tight. It's a great style! For some CRAZY reason, it was easier (emotionally, self-conscious-wise, etc.) to wear that instead of a wig (uh ... HAIR)!

For the most part I was able to just enjoy the shopping experience with my husband and son. I tend to not notice people too much when I'm checking things off my store list anyway. However, TWICE I met intent staring head on--- from two separate ladies. You'd think that when my eyes met theirs they'd have politely looked away or smiled, or something!! NOPE! They just kept on a gazing. After the first encounter, I thought... "Hmmm... maybe when that happens it's best to just smile and ask 'How are you?'" How quickly do you think I forgot my big idea? Yep, very fast! As we were leaving the check-out area another looker was clearly gawking without batting an eyelash. I whispered to Stephen that I was tempted to rip the scarf right off my head and continue walking. :-) Oh, please...pray that I won't do that! I am fully capable of it. It must be the Irish ancestry? Firey Irish temper? It'd be much better to smile or to ignore, wouldn't it?

Once settling into the car and getting my scrupples back, I rationalized that it's basic human nature to be curious. We already attract a lot of attention being a mixed race couple with ... well, gorgeous bi-racial children? :-) (Oops, sorry--- I'm biased in a good way!) I'm used to THOSE types of stares, so why should the "head gawkers" bother me? I think I'll turn it into an opportunity to be ooey-gooey friendly to my people watchers! :-) I might even make some friends! Ha! :-D

Tomorrow I'll get into the chemo rink for "round two". I've already ironed my clothes and picked out my oh-so-fashionable headwear. :-) Stephen and I are thinking of dragging my IV pole to the beautiful waiting area in the treatment section so we can play a game of Matzrap. (My sister and her husband learned this game in Israel. It's so much fun!) We may as well make a date of it, I guess. :-)

I'm dreading the side effects. They lasted for about a week the last time. It was, however, encouraging to hear from another lady who had the same chemo drugs as me that her side effects did NOT worsen (cumulative effect) with each treatment. If I can have ONLY what I had before, that would be MORE than enough.

God has been SO GOOD to me. I was sick and fatigued for a week, had one whole day of intense bone pain, but otherwise have felt GREAT for the past two weeks. THAT is a gift from the Lord to my children. My surgery recoveries and first week of "blah" after the last treatment was upsetting to my little twin Stephen. It's been wondeful for the kids to see me behaving normally in the home for a couple of weeks. They NEEDED their Mom back. I hope and pray for the same this time around.

Before closing today's note, I want to record a blessing from today. The pastor's wife offered to set up weekly cleaning and some meals for us. That will be such a huge help during "chemo weeks". Kaylee will be away Fri-Sun this weekend, and it's a bad time as I'll be recovering from treatment. Stephen's had to take off from work for a couple of days to help me with the house and kids. How NICE it is that during those days, the church ladies will provide meals. It's already a great blessing to enjoy a meal fom my friend Patty's family every Thursday. People have been so good to us (You'll see this in my blog repeatedly, because it's amazing to us!)

The girls from a church sponsored group home program will come over on Thursday morning and clean the house. That's going to be my "in bed day" if the side effects repeat. I got sick two days out last time. WHAT A BLESSING that they are coming!

If anyone wants to pray for specifics, here's tom's schedule:

12:30 PM: lab work (to check my blood counts)
1:00 PM: check-up with nurse practitioner
2:00 PM: nausea meds by IV followed by two hours (one hour for each drug) of chemotherapy

And, Wednesday: Neulasta shot in the afternoon. This caused extreme bone pain four days later the last time. Pray!

Three little angels are waiting for me to read to them, so with that... good-night!

No comments:

Post a Comment