Thursday, June 24, 2010

Fancy Hat Party

This afternoon the twins asked me if they could see my head. I've been keeping it covered with hats, scarves or a wig. Only Kaylee and the baby had seen my baldness.

So, I decided to read to them this amazing library book that a local librarian had bought for us. It is called SAMMY'S MOMMY HAS CANCER. It's short and simple, and it's just enough for their age group. There are pictures with the mom wearing scarves and hats, and it shows her wig on the nightstand. It also depicts the mom's bald head. We made it kind of an adventure to read the book and shared some personalized things that relate to their own mom's cancer situation.

After reading the book, I asked if they still want to see my head. They wanted to. The boys laughed, one said I looked like a man, and all three kids wanted to rub my head. We had fun with it and talked about when my hair would grow back in. I told them I may get new hair that is curly, straight, brown, yellow... we have to wait and see. My little guy who has curly hair has recently said he's going to ask God to give me curls like his. :-)

After playing about mommy's bald head for a bit we all went to my room and had a fancy hat party. The kids, including Kaylee, all tried on my wig, and a whole assortment of hats, scarves, and other hair doo-dads. We really had a great time with it. The kids took it all so well.

I told them that once Mommy's sickness is gone and her hair has grown back, we want to celebrate with a little vacation of some sort. We talked about where we might like to go. Sammy, of course, picked Chuck E. Cheese and the hotel with the swimming pool. Little Stephen is talking of Disney and Sea World. He thinks big, huh? Ha! I don't think that will happen. :-)

I love those kids so much... I always hope and pray that God will restore me to good health and I can raise these babies through to adulthood. They're so beautiful...inside and out. My babies.

They make every day an adventure. Today's big one was when the twins decided to play that there was a fire in their room and call 911. We had no idea! I was resting on my bed and Stephen was balancing the checkbook. The kids had come to him and told him they had a fire, but he knew it was play and thought nothing of it. Soon after, there was a knock on the door. A police officer was there to respond to our 911 call! (The kids had called the dispatcher and hung up before realizing someone was on the line, I guess.) What a shock to us! We apologized, of course, and he was very understanding. I brought the boys to the door to have a teaching moment with Mommy, Daddy and the officer about when it's appropriate to really call 911. It has to be for a true emergency. I'm glad that they realize, though, that our community workers are reliable and will be there if needed.

Oh, what a day! Twins! What one doesn't think of, the other one does. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Kelli,

    You are SUCH an inspiration! Thanks for sharing your story! Praying for you!
    Love,
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Patty. Thank you for READING my story. I hope it helps others somehow. It's been a crazy "journey" but I'm learning so much and know God's hand is on me.
    Thanks for those prayers!
    Love, Kelli

    ReplyDelete