Thursday, June 3, 2010

First Chemotherapy Treatment

First chemo. DONE! Fun? No. Horrible? No. So-so? Yes.

The facility is gorgeous. It's new and it is evident that the designers put some thought into their plans to cater them to the needs of cancer patients.

Some of the treatment "rooms" overlook a beautiful landscape. They're equiped with remote control recliners and televisions. There's room for 1-2 guests.

Most of the nurses are very nice and helpful. I think the one that took care of me yesterday was tired as it was the end of her shift. She was polite, but not overly informative. I was expecting a bit of "teaching time" as it had been explained to me that that would happen on the first day of chemo. I asked her a lof questions, but still went home not knowing some things. I had to contact the pharmacist twice about medications needed to be taken last night--- the nurse hadn't told me what time I could take them. But, overall, it was okay.

I didn't feel anything weird when the medicine was going into my body. They started with the nausea med. and steroid dose via IV. (They had a bit of trouble with my port as the area around it is still swollen.) Next, the Cytoxan (chemo drug #1) and then the Taxotere (drug #2). It took about one hour for each chemo treatment. Stephen and I passed the time by chatting and watching TV, and I worked on a few emails to take up my mind.

The only effect I felt during the IV process was a nasty taste in my mouth when the nurse flushed the line. A friend had given me a heads up to suck on cinnamon flavored hard candy.

Just before leaving I could feel something going on in my GI tract and that continued for a few hours. We stopped at the store for RX's and hot flashes set in, along with fatigue. And, my appetite was strong. I ate a lot when we got home.

I was up during the night--- every 2 to 2 1/2 hours--- due to having drank the 10-12 glasses of required fluids to flush out my system. I drank much of it late in the day and will try and do it earlier today. :0) I'm also taking anit-nausea med's around the clock for a few days.

I wish my grandfather had had access to the nausea meds available to patients now back when he had chemo in 1987. :-( I think of how he made the best of things anyway--- keeping his sense of humor. He was remarkable. I'm glad to know he's in heaven with Jesus and doesn't have to think about illness and pain.

Some of the odd side effects bothered me a bit last night, but really ---not badly. I had some tingling in my right hand, and my feet felt senstive and the soles felt hot for a bit. I continually have mild nausea. It's not much different than having a "not so bad" case of the flu, but it's limiting enough so you can only do a small amount of activity and then have to rest.

I plan to do all that I can to combat side effects. Mouth rinses several times per day to ward off mouth sores. Good hygeine for the family regarding handwashing. Rest. Eat as well as possible (hoping for an appetite to do so). I've been told to WALK!

We'll, we're going to watch a bit of a movie before the kids to go school--- here's to the second day after chemo...

No comments:

Post a Comment