Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Change of Plans Regarding Treatment

I called the doc's this morning to ask what's going on--- when should I go back in today to finish my treatment (following yesterday's allergic reaction that prevented completion).

A while later I received a call back from the nurse practitioner that had seen me in my doctor's absense. (My oncologist is out of the office until July 6th, but I guess she's answering patient related emails from her staff until the end of this week.)

The NP said that I will NOT go in for treatment today, and that I will NOT get further treatment until JULY 12th when I'm secheduled to meet with my oncologist next. (I'm secheduled for chemo for that day.)

She said that my doc will be changing my treatment plan--- different drugs. (I wonder if this means different cycle time frames as well--- i.e. every two weeks vs. every three). Whatever the case, it's going to mean a change in side effects, scheduling, etc. I don't like feeling so in the dark.

Hopefully, my oncologist will shoot off an email back to the office sometime this week and I'll get some feedback on this situation. The regular nurse for my doc said that it's unlikely the doctor will call me to discuss treatment options, because she does that in person. She said it may be possible that I can see the doc in person the week prior to treatment to discuss things. I made it clear to both the nurse and NP that I WANT to hear from my doctor ahead of time so I can be INFORMED. I dont' want to just show up on July 12th for chemo and not be educated about what's going to go into my body. I believe that they're sensitive to these types of requests.

Now, I need to sit back, feel well, and trust God. I know that ALL things work together for GOOD according to HIS purposes. It's not going to do a bit of good to sit around and worry excessively.

However, I didn't think to ask the NP something I would have liked to had the answer to. I asked the regular RN: "Will missing this one treatment drug this cylcle increase my risk?" She said she cannot answer that. I think that's an "oncologist" question anyway. Again... I just have to trust God. He's faithful to take care of us---in small and big ways.

I'm having some side effects from the Cytoxan. I feel nauseated, but NOT to the point of not being able to eat. I've just had a high protein and fiber breakfast. I feel quite tired. I've tried to do some housework, but need to rest for a while. I don't know WHAT I would do without help from Stephen and Kaylee. I hope that they will have the stamina to "hang in there". If anyone's reading this, please pray for them, too. It can't be easy on them.

Well, there are some great World Cup Soccer games to watch today:
ENGLAND, USA, and GHANA. The whole family needs the rest. The only outside thing that's a must today is going for my Neulasta injection at 4:20 PM. That stimulates the bone marrow to make white blood cells. Pray in advance that the bone pain from that won't be as excrutiating as it was before--- the pain came on Day 5 (so, if that's the case it may "hit" on Sunday.)


Happy Day, All!

UPDATE:
The nurse from my oncologist's office called to say that my doc phoned the office about my situation. She's going to switch my drug treatment plan to THREE more c ycles of AC (Adriamycian and Cytoxan) beginning July 12th. I'll have the treatments every two weeks.

The note included the following: Three cycles of AC vs. four cycles of Taxol. The nurse didn't know what the "vs" meant, but I'm interpreting it as possibly meaning that it'd be an alternative to the Taxol drug. I'm not sure, though. If I reacted to Taxotere (from the Taxine family like Taxol is from), why would they give me four cycles of Taxol AFTER the three cycles of AC?

Although, originally, I was going to have eight cycles of AC and twelve of Taxol (FIVE MONTHS OF CHEMO)... until my Oncotype DX (genetic testing) score came back as favorable regarding recurrance rate. (That's when the doc changed me to the current plan which is NOT going to work now.) With this being stated, I'm wondering if the Taxol (4 cycles) WILL come after the AC, if those three drugs tend to go together? It's just hard to say without talking to the oncologist.

Again, have to trust God in all of this.

One thing that the doc was GLAD about when originally changing my plan to NOT include Adriamycian was that she'd be sparing me the long term effects that that drug can cause: heart pump function damage and leukemia. :-( Now, those will be a concern again.

Just keep on praying!! Thanks so much!

I'm enjoying a visit from my son, his wife and my beautiful seven weeks old grandson. He smiled at me twice this morning. :0) Thank you, Lord, for the blessing of family!

2 comments: