Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Strand by Strand

My hair continues to come out stand by strand--- a few here and a few there. I'm not ready to cut it off, as it hasn't thinned out enough to look bad. I hope it won't just start coming out in clumps!

When I plucked a few stray eyebrow hairs today--- it took minimal effort. They came off without any resistance or pain. It was weird!

The twins have been curious about my wig--- it's been drying in the dining room (of all places!) Tonight, little Stephen put it on and ran through the house, making us crack up! :-D Sammy's afraid of it, although he did touch it to see how soft it is. I'm trying to keep things VERY "light" for the twins, as I feel that they're too young to give too much information (about my cancer) to.

I went to a breast cancer support group pot luck lunch today. It was GREAT to connect with other ladies who know JUST WHAT IT IS LIKE to have breast cancer, chemotherapy, radiation, decision making about lumpectomy vs. mastectomy, side effects of medicines, etc. I think it's so important to be in touch with others who've "been there". I learn a lot from this group of women, and the bond they have formed with each other through the group is so awesome. They're women of different ages, mostly 50's -80's. There's one other lady close to my age. Some women have been survivors for over 30 years.

Breast cancer brings people closer together--- you find friends you didn't even know you had.

Last night, our pediatrician paid us a visit again and brought dessert. :-) He's been so thoughtful. Stephen and I still can't get over how kind people have been to our family during this illness. One friend and her family have "spoiled" us with meals one day per week. What a blessing that has been!

Stephen will go back to his second job tomorrow after taking a month off to help me through surgeries and the first chemotherapy treatment. I'm nervous about the transition, because he has been so "solid" for me. He's a safe and soft "place" for me to land, no matter what I've been through from the diagnosis to the surgeries to the first treatment. He's a wonderful person and husband.

Kaylee will be helping me a lot this summer when Stephen is at work. She's done a great job so far of helping by pitching in on housework and child care.

People have not been able to "get over" how healthy I look and how positive I feel these days. It's almost awkward to hear the comments and to see the surprised looks on faces. I sort of wonder if I'm supposed to be much more sick or depressed by now? One guest thought I'd be sick in bed.

I attribute the good health and positive outlook to having a great support system (especially my husband and daughter who have allowed me to get the rest my body needs) and my faith in the Lord. If I had no faith, I think I probably would lie down n the couch for the next several months and feel like giving up. Where would I put my hope? It scares me to think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment